Proctor House Museum is an important heritage site and tourist attraction in Brighton, Ontario. The majestic house sits up on the hill overlooking the town with a watchful view over Presqu'ile Bay. It represents a very significant element in the history and the heritage landscape of our area.
The original frame house was built in the early 1850s by Isaac Proctor and the large brick house was added in the late 1860s by his son, John Edward Proctor. The scope and scale of this house demonstrated the wealth and prosperity of John Edward Proctor (1824-1911) as he ramped up his business activities, operating the main wharf at Gosport and engaging in the trade of lumber, wheat - anything that would make a profit.
By the 1960s the old house was neglected and empty. The threat of demolition prompted creation of a group of concerned citizens called Save Our Heritage Organization (S.O.H.O.) who were able to save the building from destruction. Then, an ambitious renovation project led to the wonderful heritage site we see on the hill today.
In 2000 a barn from the Simpson property was reassembled just to the west of Proctor House and it became The Barn Theatre which hosts entertaining theatrical productions as well as historical presentations and various cultural activities.
These wonderful accomplishments were the work of dedicated volunteers and the need continues for volunteers to help keep these sites viable into the future.
Come take a tour of Proctor House Museum or attend a play at The Barn Theatre. Enjoy the present with a dip into the past.